WHERE: South side of the State Capitol (adjacent to Morgan St.)
WHEN: 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm
The NC NAACP and Forward Together Moral Movement will rally outside the state capitol building on Tuesday, March 11 to draw attention to the massive rollback of voting rights that extremist lawmakers pushed through the General Assembly last year and to call for renewed mobilization for voter protections at both the state and federal levels.
Co-hosted by the Saving OurSelves (S.O.S.) Movement for Justice and Democracy as a part of its week-long tour through Southern state capitols, Tuesday’s demonstration will highlight the tremendous harm done by the US Supreme Court’s reckless decision to gut the Voting Rights Act last summer and will push for Congress to restore a full-strength version of Section IV under the act. Currently, congressional lawmakers have introduced a weaker reinstatement of the 1965 Voting Rights Act that would leave North Carolina, Alabama and Florida as uncovered jurisdictions under Section V.
North Carolina’s voter suppression law inhibits and restrains the right to vote—particularly for African Americans, Latinos and the poor by:
• requiring all voters show specific forms of photo ID, excluding student ID’s and non-North Carolina driver’s licenses;
• cutting down on popular early voting days;
• ending same-day registration;
• limiting early registration and ending it entirely for 16- and 17-year olds;
• giving vigilante poll watchers more power to challenge votes;
• barring counties from keeping polls open later to accommodate long lines;
• refusing to count provisional ballots mistakenly cast in the wrong precinct;
• making it easier to request an absentee ballot, which is the most common means of voter fraud and also tends to be used by more Republican voters.
It is fitting then that the SOS Movement chose Raleigh, NC, as one of its stops on “The Caravan for Democracy: From the State Capitols to the Nation’s Capitol” tour. The caravan begins in Selma on March 10 following the 49th anniversary of the voting rights march in which the Forward Together Moral Movement will participate. The SOS Movement will end its caravan on March 12 in Washington D.C. with a demonstration and a march outside the Supreme Court and Capitol to advocate for a full reinstatement of the federal Voting Rights Act.
1 E Edenton St
Raleigh, NC 27601
Google map and directions