The NC NAACP and Forward Together Moral Movement will continue exposing what extremist legislators have politically promoted as the "gay and transsexual restroom bill" - also known as House Bill 2.
The legislation has very little to do with restrooms and much to do with our need to prevent this immoral attempt to legislate a wide array of unconstitutional discrimination and hatred which we find when we read the fine print beneath these homophobic scare tactics.
The NC NAACP and the Forward Together Moral Movement stands in solidarity with civil rights leaders, labor leaders and hundreds of thousands of North Carolinians who are organizing and taking action in various areas of the state against House Bill 2. We refer to it more appropriately as "Hate Bill 2."
It is sad that certain so called Christian leaders are supporting this bill and participating in this political ploy. Jesus made his primary focus caring for the poor, the sick and least of these. Where are these leaders when health care, living wages, and voting rights are being denied and public education is being undercut? They are strangely silent.
- Hate bill 2 violates the very principle of love of neighbor. Many people supporting it have not even read it and as a result they are being misled in the name of a misguided interpretation of religion.
- Hate bill 2 was passed in the spirit of the politics of Jesse Helms reincarnated and designed to use homophobia, race, and class as political wedge issues.
- Hate bill 2 discriminates against the working poor by taking away municipalities’ ability to demand that contractors raise minimum wages to living wages and pay vacation sick leave and have minority set asides.
- Hate bill 2 discriminates against on the bases of age, sex, religion, national origin, race, class, and disability because it takes away the ability of north carolinians to file employment discrimination cases in state courts.
- Hate bill 2 targets and discriminates against the LGBTQ community and creates a hostile community atmosphere.
- Hate bill 2 is not about protecting children. This bill is about promoting discrimination and the poisonous brew of racism, classism, and homophobia and we will not stand for it.
We have come too far to go backwards. FORWARD TOGETHER!
Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II
President, NC NAACP