Field Secretary - Eastern North Carolina
The mission of the NC NAACP is to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate racial hatred and racial discrimination. The Field Secretary works across Eastern North Carolina mobilizing, educating and assisting adult units with capacity building. This includes assisting local units with building a diverse membership base through age, geography, income and educational level.
The Field Secretary will also focus on expanding access to the ballot. Building upon local networks, the organizer will be expected to ensure that local NAACP leaders are actively engaged in the Our Time Our Vote GOTV campaign and facilitating non-partisan voter education, registration, protection, and mobilization with a measurable increase in voter participation among targeted populations as an outcome.
The Field Secretary will identify local non-partisan organizations and facilitate collaboration between those organizations and the local NAACP units. They will assist in the development of volunteer leaders within the NAACP adult units. Targeted outreach will be conducted with youth and Latino populations.
They can expect extensive travel and irregular hours due to the nature of community organizing.
Click the link below to find out qualifications and how to apply.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a B.A. degree or equivalent organizing experience
- Have at least two years experience with community organizing, outreach and coalition building
- Have a passion for social, economic and political justice issues in North Carolina
- Have extensive knowledge of North Carolina, including the Northeastern region
- Be comfortable working with diverse populations including low-income, racial minorities, rural and urban, high school and college students, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community
- Have strong internet and social networking skills
- Be familiar with Microsoft products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Experience working with the Latino immigrant community and proficiency in Spanish a plus
The position is a full-time salaried position with benefits and is grant funded. The position is based out of the State office in Durham and across Eastern NC. Deadline for applications is by close of day on Sunday, April 17, 2016.
How to Apply
NC NAACP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, the LGBT community, and women. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and three references to NC NAACP Personnel Committee Chair, Avie Lester, to email@example.com or fax to 919-682-4711 by close of the day on Sunday, April 17, 2016.